Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A weekend away in Saratoga Springs


I just spent a wonderful weekend in upstate NY. Now to be fair, I like both winter and snow. I don't mind cold weather and my idea of a great winter weekend has nothing to do with beaches. So, Saratoga Springs in January may not be for everyone but it is an amazing town and would be a blast any time of year.

I arrived right around dinner time on Thursday night and after checking into the Hilton Garden Inn I headed my car toward downtown. The hotel was really in a nice location, just outside of downtown, probably a bit too far to walk but only a 10 minute drive. There were quite a few cute little vintage retro motels in between that I cannot really comment on the quality of but had a nice vibe from the street.

I pulled into some on street parking spot across from a restaurant called "The Wheat Fields." I had looked it up on my gluten free app and it was supposed to have a great gluten free menu. Once, inside I realized it had a great menu, gluten free or not, full of fresh local ingredients. I had a salad and a little pasta puttenesca.

I did not wake up for breakfast the next day but I did have a snack at what became my favorite place, "the Olde Bryan Inn." It was right across the parking lot from the hotel I was attending the conference at. It had the most amazing atmosphere. Old brick and stone interior, with a roaring fireplace, big wooden beams, and a very friendly staff. I ate here three times before the weekend was over! The menu had a mix of basic american comfort foods and nice hearty entrees.

I also found a wonderful breakfast spot a little off the beaten path called "A Country Corner Cafe." I ate here on Saturday morning, so I realize it was busy with both local and tourist traffic but getting a seat here can take a little while. I lucked out and got a booth almost immediately but many others had to wait awhile or left. In the cafe section there are probably only 20 seats but they have a larger space next door that many customers ended up in
. The whole vibe is a kitschy grandmothers kitchen, with lots of eye candy one may have found in the 1960's. I had a breakfast bowl with eggs and veggies but they had a lot of option that sounded great! A PB&J cristo, a interesting take on huevos racheros, and a whole board of specials daily.
I also checked out the local farmers market while there. It was amazing how much produce was available! Mostly root veggies that are obviously being stored in the various farms root cellar, but even among these the choices were astonishing! Purple potatoes, rainbows of carrots, garlic, onions, shallots, and even many choices of greens. There were also great options when it came to meats, cheeses, even some raw milk. The atmosphere was perfect for a cold Saturday morning, very warm and lively inside the middle school gym. They even had a little band playing away!

What I did not realize before I arrived was that Saratoga Springs is known for its mineral springs. As such, its a bit of a spa mecca. There is actually a spa within the State Park called Roosevelt Baths that offers mineral baths, in a private setting or with a group. Obviously the spa also includes all the typical treatments, massages, facials, etc. When I did finally realize this I attempted to get in for a mineral bath but they were booked up. If this is something you would want to try make sure to call ahead and book.

My last recommendation is one final restaurant that was just down the street from Wheat fields called "One Caroline Bistro." I ate here twice for dinner and although I can only vouch for the antipasto platter, which was fantastic, I think the rest of the food would probably measure up to standard. With a menu that also features produce, meats, and cheeses from local farms this little restaurant is small but packs a punch. Located below street level it is a juxtaposition of old and modern. A little jazz group plays in the background every night while you dine. My only tip, don't sit at the bar, where I was regulated as a single. Every time the door opens you get a big rush of bitterly cold air, which takes away from the pleasure of the meal.

I really loved my time in Saratoga Springs and these are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the dining options and entertainment choices. If I was looking for a great little getaway in the next few weeks this would be high on my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment